Deer are without a doubt some of Mother Nature’s most interesting creatures. Aside from that they are also one of the most wide spread animals in North America. No matter what part of the country you live in it is likely that you are going to see some whitetail or black tail deer. While it may be true that seeing these majestic wild animals can be thrilling but how do you keep them out of your garden? The good news is that there are natural things that you can do to keep them out.
- The first thing that should be looked at when trying to keep deer out of your yard is quite simple. Plant a natural barrier of perennials that will keep the deer out, such as strongly scented herbs like garlic, chives, mint and lavender.
- Another viable option is employing the use of hot pepper spray, use hot chilis or create a “pepper spray” if you will and coat plants that you have a hard time keeping the deer from eating. Don’t worry though, since you are using natural ingredients it will not harm the animals. If they do eat it, they will be fine but they will experience the unpleasant sensation of a burning mouth.
- Let your dog mark the area around your garden. Dogs are a natural predator for deer. Allowing your dog to mark the areas around your garden will make the deer think that there is a predator in the area. This will go a very long way towards keeping the deer out.
- Do NOT feed the deer, a lot of people think it is nice to put corn or deer feed out. This is very counterproductive, when you put feed out for the deer you are encouraging them to come into your yard. If you ever run out or decide to stop feeding them, they are going to make a beeline for your garden.
- The “buck” stops here! The last method we want to take a look at is the use of natural pest control products meant for deer. Products like Repellex ready to use deer and rabbit repellent will be extremely effective at keeping deer out of your garden. These products are all natural and they are safe to have around pets and children. They use nothing but natural repellents such as bloodmeal that give the illusion of a predator in the area, they also use essential oils to give the plants an unpleasant smell and taste to the deer.
There is nothing you can do that is cut and dry for keeping deer out of the garden. The fact is that deer are living animals and different things are going to work better or worse depending on the area that you live in. The best thing to do is try different things and see what works best for the deer in your area.